Skip to main content

Snapchat blames users of ‘illegal third-party apps’ for nude photo hack

Snapchat blames users of ‘illegal third-party apps’ for nude photo hack

Last night a slew of nude pictures started showing up on 4chan. Not terribly unusual, except these were images apparently snagged from hundreds of thousands of Snapchat users.
The event has been dubbed “the Snappening,” named after a previous nude photo hack called “The Fappening.” A month ago, a group of hackers found their way into several celebrity iCloud accounts, stole nude images found there, and posted them to 4chan. Most notable among the people targeted was actress Jennifer Lawrence, who called the incident a sex crime.
This time, hackers took photos from 200,000 accounts, according to social media consultant and writer Kenny Withers. Snapchat has issued the following statement to VentureBeat in response, confirming that a hack has occured. But Snapchat makes clear that its “servers were never breached” and played no role in the hack [emphasis ours]:
We can confirm that Snapchat’s servers were never breached and were not the source of these leaksSnapchatters were victimized by their use of third-party apps to send and receive Snaps, a practice that we expressly prohibit in our Terms of Use precisely because they compromise our users’ security. We vigilantly monitor the App Store and Google Play for illegal third-party apps and have succeeded in getting many of these removed.
The store of photos released Thursday night may have been accumulating for years, though there’s some confusion about the source of the photos. Some reports say the photos came from third-party client SnapSave. However, Business Insider is reporting that the photos came from a website called SnapSaved, which lets users save their snaps online rather than on mobile.
Snapchat’s statement confirms that a hack has indeed occurred but pushes all responsibility to the users — something the victims of this hack aren’t likely to appreciate.

Popular posts from this blog

Ariana Grande Posted a video on Instagram

Watch out WhatsApp: Google may be launching a free messaging app very soon

Software giant Google Inc plans to launch a mobile messaging app it is likely to test in India and other emerging markets, the Economic Times reported on Friday, citing sources.

If launched, the mobile app will compete in the mobile chat space with the likes of WhatsApp, Line and Hike.

The daily said Google was in the early stages of development of the app, which will not make it mandatory to use a Google login. Moreover, unlike WhatsApp, where users have to pay Rs 53 annually after one year of usage, Google's messaging app will be free.

The Mountain View, California-based company is also looking at localisation, by adding Indian language support and voice-to-text messaging, the newspaper said.

A Google spokeswoman said the company did not comment on speculation.

Source:- http://bit.ly/1xIZHMs

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare's Zombies Sold Separately As Part of $50 DLC Pass

Fans were excited when last week a leaked trailer for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare seemed to show that a Zombies mode would be making it into the game. As Advanced Warfare is from Sledgehammer, Activision’s newest developer recruit, it was unknown if Zombies, a Treyarch tradition, would appear as a mode in the new game.

Now, we have confirmation that Zombies are indeed coming to Advanced Warfare, but how they’re coming might upset fans.

Announced by a GameStop press release, access to an upcoming Zombies mode is granted through the purchase of the game’s mammoth $50 DLC Season Pass, which includes five maps from the get-go, all maps after that, and now apparently, Zombies.

Though Call of Duty is known for its traditional deathmatch-style multiplayer and summer blockbuster-esque story campaigns, there is a huge contingent of fans who adore Zombies, and some who play it almost exclusively, as it’s a very different type of game than any of the other modes with its own kind of strategy and…